The suns' rosey fingers pinked the clouds this morning.

Still waiting for the Syrah to ripen.

The Field mix of Viognier and Syrah has been hit by the birds...amazing that the wildlife can remove tons and tons of fruit in a week. Our Cab Franc was removed entirely. We lost four tons in two days to Baboons (those evil grape sucking f#@*&^rs) and red wing starlings. We lost three tons of Chardonnay to the Cape White Eye, Baboons, and Starlings. I mean one of the Bosman clan was out there every day with a whip and still we lost so much fruit that it hurts.

But, you may be happy to know that of the 6 tons for Ataraxia wines we managed to deliver only 3. A net loss of 50%. Not bad considering I slept out there and on weekends Avi Bosman visited the farm each day. Sucks for Kevin Grant (winmaker to the Gods) but we did more for him than we were able to do for ourselves. I think we may start employing the shoot first ask questions later rule next season. No love lost, just grapes.

Speaking of love...

We've finally bottled (with the financial help of FNB) the Baboon Butt Red and the first bottles of the Lismore Chardonnay. The Baboon Butt is getting better by the day and we should be out of it by the time we bottle the next run of Lismore and BBR. So, if you want some ask now or forever hold your piece (of coinage). The Chardonnay was seriously startled by the bottling process and is going to have to sit for a few more months to regain its former glory.

That is the life of wine though. Ripen as slowly as possible. Ferment as slowly as possible. Barrel age as long as possible. Bottle age a while longer. Then Drink the damn thing faster than you can utter, "where's my screw pull' when twisting off a cap.

Love,

J

6 comments:

Samantha said...

This is for all of you to talk to all of us...email isn't always easy. Hopefully this will be easier.

Love to you all

Jake

Samantha said...

Thanks Lisa.
We're battling the baboons now...
Funny that thing, life.
Jake

O'Yan & Jazzy J said...

Dear Sam, Jake, Keenan and Quinn,

What fun it was to read about the babboons. I just wrote something about babboons for a new movie script: The animals unite and attack men because they are destroying the only home they have. The animals are the good guys even though they eat too many grapes. XuXu and O'Yan went to Palm Springs yesterday to see the professional tennis players. It was lovely and warm. We'll play tennis together when we next come to Greyton or the beach house. This afternoon we are going to Orange County to see Parker (your cousin) play baseball and eat pizza. Love to you all. O'Yan
Hiddy Ho,
"I'ts a lovely day in the neighborhood, would you be my neighbor", gosh if only that could happen! Well in my heart you are.
I will spread sommes kisses around to your cousins later today,
besos y abasos, xuxu

Anonymous said...

Isn't it "dawn's red-rosy fingers?" I don't have my copy of the Odessy handy...but I love all your literary/mutual of Omaha references whilst writing about harvests and baboons. Your life is wierd and I'm so jealous.

I'm going blind from embroidering too much and I'm turning into a hunchback from sitting too long at the Singer.

Fashion is so glamorous, dahling.

Anonymous said...

G-try,

Sup. More often than not I'm lost i the mental morass of literary quotes and supposed allusions to pop culture that only I "get". Nay, not only I... that's just a touch of twaddle in my sleep induced state...love to your hunchbacked self... J

Anonymous said...

Gosh...that does not sound good but I guess that is the life of a winemaker. Some years better than others! I love to taste some of your wines. I am a friend of your brother (I guess that would be going too far. I worked for him for a year). We are moving to Joburg from OC soon and will definately make it a point to come and visit Lismore :)

2008 Chardonnay

2008 Chardonnay
Snow in the clouds...